Saturday, April 14, 2007

April 13, 2007 -- Known as Friday the 13th

There will be no pictures with this story, it will be brief, and it started the 12th.

Friday the 13th I was scheduled for a colonoscopy. Three years ago I had a couple of very small polyps. I didn't schedule a further check then because I didn't have the insurance, nor the funds. So finally I could have it done. But the day before I could only have liquids, excluding anything with pulp, milk, or coffee with milk. Also was not to drink anything that was red or purple. (Don't ask, I don't know.) But at 4:00 p.m. I also had to take this Fleet phosphate stuff. 1.5 oz of it in 4 oz of water. Luckily the pharmacist suggested it was okay to put it into a lemonade ... anyway I got it down. It was a struggle, but I did. (I absolutely cannot do oral/liquid medicines.) Now the action was supposed to start between 30 minutes and 3 hours but it didn't. Finally at the 6 hour mark things got to going through. But of course I was up way late. I spent the time reading and cleaning the toilet in between the cannon shots. (A seriously gross event.)

Now this is Friday, and I had to repeat this grossness at 5:00 in the a.m.. Actually was supposed to be 3 hours before seeing the Dr., but gave it four considering how long it took to start the night before. And it took even longer as this time I had to stop and gag over every little swallow. I was barely through when my ride showed up, and time to go.

The Dr. gave me a sedative so that I would hopefully take a nap while he was working, but while I think I must have dozed off for a while, I was awake to watch the progress of the final two polyps he snipped off.

They called my ride, and I was home again. My ride wanted to escort me back into the house, but I felt quite awake, and off he went. It was about 11:30 a.m. so the first thing I did was make me some oatmeal with blueberries, and then lay down for a nap. I didn't wake up until 4:00 p.m.. Nice nap! But 4:00 is when I feed the horses, so out I went.

Now I still think it was just an accidental slip of my foot, and was not because of the earlier sedative, but I stepped to the gate to reach the grain to Sassy, and my foot slipped down and rolled over on itself. If I hadn't fallen, I would have ended up standing on the top of my foot. But I did fall, and I am starting some really spectacular bruises on my left calf, hip, and shoulder. I don't really feel anything on my head. Must just be too hard. I hit the gate with my calf, the cement floor with my hip, and the barn door frame with my shoulder. I have to admit, I just laid there for a while, with Sassy snorting at me because I spilled her grain, and the most of it was on my side of the gate.

The shoes I had on were my regular Ropers slip ons, but over time they have stretched out of shape, and are loose, and to add to the problem, I had thin and slippery socks on. But I have taken care of that. Today, wearing the same comfy shoes, I have on a pair of hospital sock/slippers with the rubber tread on the bottom. My shoes do not slip at all now!!

1 comment:

Tldmhark said...

You didn't tell me you had fallen and gotten all black and blue! Shame on you! Hope you are feeling better now. Next time put on some good shoes! A Lady at church fell on some cement a few weeks ago on her face, said it didn't hut the cement at all! She's in her 80's and not well!